Old Mutual has been involved in corporate social investment initiatives since 1965. The Old Mutual Foundation was established in 1999 as part of the company’s demutualisation process, with the aim of effectively managing the increasing resources provided for such initiatives.
Investing in SA’s economic success
In response to national development goals and Old Mutual’s strategic objectives, the focus areas of the Old Mutual Foundation are:
- Enterprise Development
- Skills Capacity Building
- Education (secondary maths and science)
- Staff Volunteerism
Through these initiatives, the Old Mutual Foundation aims to integrate marginalised South Africans into the mainstream economy, and therefore our bias is towards rural and peri-urban communities where this need is greatest.
“The work being done by the Old Mutual Foundation is grounded in our company’s heritage and history, and founded on the will to help the communities we serve to help themselves, while also enabling and supporting millions of South Africans to save, invest and strengthen their financial future.”
Marshall Rapiya, CEO, Old Mutual South Africa
The following five areas are considered for funding:
- Enterprise Development: This portfolio focuses on the development of SMEs (small and micro enterprises) in agriculture, manufacturing and the environment. Consideration is given to the capabilities and track-record of the project leaders, a proven market for the entrepreneur, the number of jobs created and long-term financial viability of the beneficiaries.
- Skills Capacity Building: This portfolio aims to support accredited skills training programmes to lead to permanent job placement. Considerations are effective recruitment and selection programmes, monitoring and evaluation measures and an established network to absorb upskilled beneficiaries.
- Education, maths and science: This portfolio supports the targeted development of learners in maths and science at secondary school level. Considerations are an active endorsement by the Department of Education, clearly defined success indicators with respect to excellence in maths and science. Additionally we target instructional development of teachers and leadership development of school management.
- Staff Volunteerism: This portfolio supports Old Mutual employees who are actively involved in community development projects. Our focus is to support and enable the employees of Old Mutual, its partners and the general public to volunteer and support charitable initiatives that uplift vulnerable communities.
- Vulnerable Members of our Community: This portfolio supports ad hoc funding to relieve the distress of vulnerable communities in the areas of care, health, and welfare or crisis relief; for children, youth, disabled persons, women and the elderly.
Email your application or contact Elmarie Brooks on 0215093333