Durban Botanical Gardens is a classic botanical garden, reflecting the plant kingdom universe. The Music at the Lake concerts take place under an umbrella of majestic, grand old trees that surround the lake.
Approaching from the North
Off-street parking can be found off lower Sydenham Road. Look out for the entrance to the Visitor Complex Parking. Additional parking is available on the Munies Hockey Field.
Approaching from the South
Off-street parking can be found off lower St Thomas Road Gate No.3 (Juventus Gate).
Secure off street parking is provided with the area being patroled by car guards.
- The garden itself is open 365 days a year, from 07h30 to 17h45 (October to March) and 07h30 to 17h15 (Apr – Sept).
- Entrance to the gardens is free.
- For the Music at the Lake Concerts, the concert venue will open at 2 hours before the start of the concert. Gates will open at 12h30 for all afternoon concerts..
- Garden visitors who arrive early and wish to attend the concert later in the day should purchase a concert ticket and retain it to gain entry to the concert area later.
For your convenience, a Kids’ Zone will provide supervised activities for your children during the concerts. Please note this is not a child-minding service.
Concert venue toilets are situated to the left of the stage, when facing the stage.
Bring some Cape wine and a delicious picnic to enjoy. John’s Schwarmas and Café Pronto Italian Coffee offer refreshments for sale at all of the concerts. Please remember to take your litter home with you, as the concert area is bin-free.
Durban Botanical Gardens is wheel-chair friendly, and well signposted for physically disabled visitors. Disabled parking bays are available at the Visitors Complex for the Durban Botanical Gardens. Concert venue toilets for the physically disabled are clearly marked, and are situated close to the visitors complex in the gardens.
Please take note
- Do not smoke in the audience or sit on deckchairs that obstruct the view of the stage for others.
- Keep children out of the flower beds and off the stage.
- No dogs, ball games, scooters or bikes are allowed in the garden.
- Do respect the peace and cleanliness of adjacent residential areas when leaving.